6/10/11

Hatching Chicks-The Natural Way

After exactly 21 days, 2 out of the 3 fertilized eggs hatched that I had put under my broody Cochin hen. It takes at least 10 hours to hatch from their "pipping" stage (the first hole they've pecked out of the shell). I did not know it took this long, so I got worried and actually hatched one of the chicks. Many people will agree that this is not a good idea to hatch the egg for the chicks, so don't help the chick hatch unless it has taken over a day for it to peck out.
I had already blocked off the run, so the other chickens couldn't bother the chicks. (I didn't want the hen and chicks to be free roaming because of too many predators in our yard). And prepared a large nesting box with plenty of shavings, a chick size water bowl, and a food bowl of chick crumble (this is also good for the hen to eat because of the extra protein to help her get her strength and weight back), and because it was raining I made a water proof shelter over the nesting box. Its up to you if you want to use a heating light or not (I did not since my hen provided enough warmth).
During the first week, I had actually put them in my shower (since the weather was so bad), but I think it had helped keep them warm and comfortable anyway. I went a bit overboard.

You could probably let the chicks out with your other chickens around 3 weeks, but I waited till they were 8 weeks. So they were all feathered out (more protection with the hen pecking); and the mama hen had had enough of them anyway!

Make sure the brood area is kept clean and dry. The mama hen will do all the work, but I think it is a good idea to check on them every day to make sure the chicks are staying healthy. And if you want to tame them then you will want to handle them frequently--which you will need to anyway to check for signs of illness. My hen didn't seem bothered too much by people picking up the chicks.
A hen can sit on 10-12 eggs (especially a giant Cochin like mine :). And I know that hens will gladly raise not just chicks, but poultry breeds too.

If you want to try hatching chicks, make sure your hen is VERY broody-meaning never leaving the nesting box, and not switching between different boxes. If you don't have a rooster, you can find fertilized eggs pretty much anywhere (try Craigslist). And the eggs are fine if they are kept at room temp (do not chill) for a few days. The embryo is suspended in time and won't start growing until the hen sits on them to heat them up.



1 comment:

  1. I was so intrigued to see your hen in the shower! Well done you! We often raise our chicks 'the natural way' but we've just raised 5 in an incubator. Very interesting too.

    ReplyDelete