6/7/11

Dogs and Chickens

If you want chickens, then you will need to make sure they are safe from your dogs (and other neighborhood dogs) if they are not chicken friendly. I got my chickens before I got my puppy, so it was really easy to train her not to chase the chickens, since they weren't a new animal I was bringing home. Keeping her on a leash, I let her look come into the chicken area. I used the "leave it" command (with a quick tug on the leash) strenuously and often, even if she just started to come up to sniff or follow them, etc. This just teaches her from the beginning that she needs to respect the chickens' space, and they are not toys.
But I would not introduce the dog to the chickens for a week, so the dog (and chickens) can calm down and get comfortable with each other. I think it is a very good idea to keep the chickens in a fenced off area that is safe from predators.
You can also watch this video, http://www.self-sufficient-life.com/Keeping_Chickens/DogVideo.htm , that seems to have worked for other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment